Monday, May 18, 2015

A 4 year old's "Mortality Lullaby"

The other day I was making dinner and could hear Abby starting to fuss in the living room. Ben is such a great help and loves to sing and talk to Abby to help her feel better. I heard him starting to talk and sing to her and then started listening more closely to the little lullaby he was making up for her. It went something like this:

"It's okay Abby, Ben's here and you're okay.
And you're not going to die - not until you are old, because you are so little.
And Mom is the oldest so she is going to die first.
And then Dad is because he is the second oldest.
And then I will die because I was born the first of the kids.
And then Caleb will die because he was born next.
And then you will die but not until you are old so it's okay.
Don't cry. It's okay. Ben is here."

At least it entertained and kept Abby happy for a while longer :)

1 comment:

Annette said...

Oh so cute and funny. What a good brother Ben is to his little sister. Glad they've got that settled and don't have to worry about it for a very, very long time.