Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Can Feed Myself!

Benjamin's love for independence often makes me sigh with exasperation. For the past few months he has insisted on feeding himself so I have tried to stick to somewhat clean finger foods - pasta, fruit pieces, bread, small pieces of chicken or cooked veggies, etc.
After returning home from Utah I decided it was time to be brave and let him start practicing with his own bowl and spoon. I cringe each time I set it down. I have to remind myself that the mess is part of the learning. Our floor and his high chair have been scarred indefinitely, but his little smiles sure are worth it. Plus, this means that I won't have to feed him his cereal when he's sixteen!

3 comments:

Annette said...

You are a brave mom but those smiles are totally worth it! What a cute bug, even with a face full of smashed veggies.

Rachel said...

I always cringed at that too, now I do when Madeline clears her plate- always spilling on the way! But yes, it is a good learning thing. And they sure are cute doing it!

Jessica Lyn said...

One of my friends said that her mom would put a cheap wading pool under the high chair. Seems like it would make some things easier. :)