1. Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - I could easily put the first five on this list as Dickens' books but I'll branch out a little bit. This is definitely my favorite by him. I love the crazy characters and the mix of mystery and adventure. I just re-re-re-reread it not too long ago and still love it!
2. My Antonia by Willa Cather - I loved this so much I decided to read everything by Willa Cather. Then I discovered that, while she is very talented, the other books didn't grab me the way this one did.
3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas - I love the book and HATE the movie. The book is all about how revenge and wanting to get even will destroy you, and that forgiveness is the only way to really be free. The movie threw it all out so they could have a happy ending. I'll stick with the book.
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Who doesn't love Scout and Boo Radley? For me this book is about realizing that the world is not always just and that the judgments we make at first are not always right.
5. Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Suess - I know, I know. It's just a children's story, but what a children's story it is! Lazy Mazie and Faithful Horton. Dr. Suess was a pretty smart guy.
6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - I fell in love with this book in the first chapter. Poor Jane became amazing Jane.
7. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy - Anyone who can make you love characters named Clement and Thomasin Yeobright and Diggory Venn should be applauded!
8. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis - I know lots of people look for and find all kinds of gospel symbolism in these stories, but I just love the magic and the fun story. These are my favorite quick read books.
9. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - So I've only made it through the complete version once but I've read a few abridged versions a few times and I love love love this story. The mercy, the justice. Each time I read it I find myself relating to a different character.
10. Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook - This is my go-to book whenever I try something new. I also pull it off the shelf just to look through all the little tips - choosing and storing fruits and veggies, conversion charts, substitution charts, whether or not margarine would be an okay substitute for real butter, what type of fish gives a strong or a weak flavor, etc.
3 comments:
Awesome. I'm going to read some of those books. :) Thanks!
Great list of books. I love that you added a cook book to the list. I wouldn't have thought of that.
YAY! I love getting book recommendations from you. I have two of these that I need to read. :)
Post a Comment